The Ural Sidecar factory was born in the midst of the Siberian winter in 1941 and still manufactures sidecars today.
The small town of Irbit on the eastern slopes of the Ural Mountains became an unlikely hub to supply motorcycles for the war effort.
The first motorcycles were sent to the front lines in February of 1942 and used in the Battle of Stalingrad.
During the war, 9,799 M72's served in reconnaissance and dispatch detachments in addition to helping evacuate the wounded from battle fields.
As the war ended, the factory adapted to the growing post-war need for practical transportation.
The factory continued producing motorcycles with sidecars, building over 3 million units.
These military machines transformed into the functional vehicles of choice for ordinary folks and young families.